(Skills, Training, Employment Preparation ~ Ultimate Paycheck)
STEP~UP, which stands for: Skills, Training, Employment Preparation ~ Ultimate Paycheck, offers young adults the One-Stop Employment Experience.
STEP~UP Program Overview
The STEP~UP program is offered in collaboration by Broome-Tioga Workforce New York, Cornell University Cooperative Extension and the Broome County Urban League to provide young adults ages 18 to 24 the tools they need to succeed in today’s careers. These tools include the following:
- Occupation Training
- Work Experience
- Nationally Recognized Internet & Core Computing Certification (IC3)
- Nationally Recognized Work Readiness Credential
- GED Preparation Classes
- Literacy Tutoring
- Assistance in Searching for Employment
- Employment Placement
- And Much More!
Associates will receive an individualized success plan based on their interests and our assessments in addition to the tools previously mentioned to help them obtain their career goals.
- Skills STEP~UP will prepare associates with the skills needed to further their training, education or employment opportunities. GED preparation is offered to help you pass and receive your High School Equivalency Diploma. If associates already have their diploma but require a reading and math refresher, tutoring is available.
- Training The STEP~UP program offers young adults a wide range of occupational training. Some of the available training programs include: Healthcare, Computer and IT-related training, Auto Mechanics, Green-related training, and much more.
Associates are also able to receive a certification in Internet & Core Computing (IC3) which is a nationally recognized certification program in basic computing and Internet knowledge and skills. An IC3 certification will make you more marketable to a potential employer in today’s competitive job market or assist you in furthering your education at a post-secondary institution.
- Employment Preparation STEP~UP associates receive preparation for the workplace and may receive a nationally recognized Work Readiness Credential which will equip you with the skills to obtain entry level employment. Furthermore, the STEP–UP Program will assist you in finding employment while you are in the STEP~UP program and upon completion of the program. Some employers who have visited the STEP~UP program are: Lourdes, Lowes, Wegmans and all branches of the United States Military.
- Additional Services STEP~UP provides many additional services to help you meet your education and employment goals. You are provided a personal case manager to work with you on any life essentials or barriers that you might experience including: shelter, food, clothing, child care, and transportation. Additionally, we will offer access to organizations from the local community that can provide information in areas of parenting, furthering your post-secondary education and financial assistance. Some of these organizations include: Planned Parenthood, Gang Prevention, United Way’s First Call for Help and Crime Victim’s Assistance Center.
For more information contact:
STEP~UP at Workforce New York
171 Front Street
Binghamton, NY 13905
JOB CORPS Overview
Job Corps is an Employment and Training Program designed to assist young people, at least 16 and not yet 25 years of age at the time of enrollment, who both need and can benefit from the wide range of services provided at a Job Corps center.
Job Corps offers academic, vocational, and life skills training through a unique approach of competency-based, individualized instruction. Services include: basic education; High School Diploma; General Education Development (GED); vocational skills training; advanced training; personal and career counseling; residential living programs; healthcare; and related support services.
Because Job Corps is a self-paced program, lengths of enrollment vary. Students may remain in the program for up to 2 years, but the average length of enrollment is approximately 7 months. An optional third year is granted for students who qualify for advanced training.
The Oneonta Job Corps Center offers training in the following programs:
Business Clerical, Culinary Arts, Nurses Aide, Electrician, Welder, Child Care Worker, Tile Setter, Auto Repair Technician, Auto Body Repair, Cement Mason.
For more information about the Job Corps program contact:
800.758.7502 x 1445
or, Broome Workforce NY at 607.778.2136